Kate Mitchell established her practice on Cape Cod and Nantucket in 1993, representing individuals, businesses and families. Her practice focuses on construction law, real estate law, zoning and land use, business law, estate planning and mediation.
A member of the Massachusetts and Vermont Bars, her broad legal and business experience includes:
- Teaching at Boston College Law School;
- Staff attorney for the Vermont Legal Aid Society;
- Fifteen years in the construction industry as a contractor concentrating in residential and light commercial; and
- Licensed Massachusetts Construction Supervisor.
Kate began her construction experience in Boston’s renovation market where she learned carpentry, contracting, the State Building Code and business skills.
Kate left Boston and relocated to Nantucket where she founded Island Women Construction Co., Inc. During her years on Nantucket, Attorney Mitchell put her license to practice law and her Construction Supervisor License to use
- running a business that built thirteen new homes;
- completing hundreds of renovation projects; and
- hiring and training dozens of young women in the trade.
During her active construction years, Kate was spotlighted on Bob Vila’s television show “Home Again”.
On Nantucket Kate gained experience in administrative law, appearing before Town officials and committees seeking permits for Island Women’s construction projects. She served on the Nantucket Finance Committee and the Zoning Board of Appeals, broadening her knowledge of town government and zoning and land use laws.
With hands-on experience, Kate brings practical business knowledge and construction experience to her practice. The result is an attorney who provides her clients with excellent legal advice, counsel and representation.
LONG STANDING COMMITMENT TO ENVIRONMENTAL CONCERNS AND AFFORDABLE HOUSING
- Kate has been a pioneer in New England construction with her focus on environmental concerns, land use and building practices. She is a member of the Northeast Sustainable Energy Association and has served on its Board of Directors.
- Committed to using advanced building techniques and practices to build energy-efficient homes, she continues to support using renewable power sources and limiting our dependence on non-renewable resources. Kate welcomes as clients developers who choose to develop with environmentally sound and sustainable practices.
Kate’s representation of Habitat for Humanity of Cape Cod, Inc. reflects her on-going commitment to affordable housing solutions for her community. In addition to Habitat, Kate represents other not-for-profit organizations in developing, permitting and building affordable housing. Kate welcomes as clients for profit and not-for-profit developers that include affordable homes within their developments.
“My practice primarily encompasses anything having to do with land and its many uses.”
– Kate Mitchell
ADDITIONAL PRACTICE AREAS
Kate represents small business owners. She advises start-ups on choice of entity, asset protection, filings with the Secretary of the Commonwealth, and all aspects of contracts. This part of her practice arises from her experience of running her own business and understanding how businesses interact with the law.
Kate offers mediation services and is a trained mediator. She considers mediation a positive and cost-effective alternative to litigation. She came to the world of alternative dispute resolution through construction, understanding that litigation is not a viable solution for many of the disputes arising out of construction projects. Kate appreciates the power of communication. She believes that many disputes are best settled at a negotiation table by the parties themselves. Mediation is voluntary, with all parties being willing to participate in good faith. The outcome is controlled and determined by the parties themselves. From this perspective she encourages her clients to resolve disputes through mediation and likewise serves as a mediator herself to help parties who are not her clients to resolve disputes through this process.
Kate’s practice includes estate planning services:
- Letters of instruction;
- Health care proxies; and
- Probating estates
She provides advice and counsel to individuals and families upon the death of a family member, next of kin or friend.
Every client requires, deserves and receives Kate’s best attention to the details of the matter the client has brought to her. Kate is committed to bringing her deep experience and knowledge to the details of each client’s legal issue.